Borussia Dortmund bombs: 'Speculator' charged with bus attackEurope | April 21, 2017, Friday @ 08:59| 59 views
Police in Germany have charged a man suspected of being behind an attack on the Borussia Dortmund team bus, BBC reported.
Rather than having links to radical Islamism, he was a market trader hoping to make money if the price of shares in the team fell, prosecutors say. The 28-year-old, identified only as Sergej W, was staying in the team's hotel in a room overlooking the street where the explosion took place.
Two people needed medical help after three bombs exploded near the bus.
Spanish footballer Marc Bartra underwent wrist surgery and a police officer was treated for shock.
Following the attack on April 11, Borussia Dortmund's Champions League match against Monaco was rescheduled a day later, which led Dortmund fans to open their doors to stranded away supporters.
Police were originally treating the blast as a terrorist attack after letters were found near the site of the attack indicating links to so-called Islamic State (IS). They arrested a 25-year-old Iraqi "with Islamist links" was arrested the day afterwards.
However, the following week, investigators cast "significant doubt" on jihadist motivations being behind it.
They said letters found at the scene may have been an attempt to trick people into thinking there was an Islamist motive.
In a statement on Friday (in German), the German federal prosecutor's office said the 28-year-old, who has German and Russian nationality, had been charged with attempted murder. He was arrested early on Friday in Baden-Wuerttemberg in south-west Germany.
The suspect had allegedly bought options to short-sell 15,000 shares of stock - reportedly priced at EUR 78,000 (GBP 65,000; USD 83,600) - in Borussia Dortmund. He would have profited from falling share prices after the attack.
He was staying at the team's L'Arrivée hotel in Dortmund on the day of the attack and had moved to a room on the top floor, overlooking the street where it took place, prosecutors say.